handroll is a website generator designed to be simple and fast. You make content in your favorite format and handroll makes a website out of it.
Get started fast with these commands!
$ pip install handroll $ handroll scaffold default mysite Complete. $ handroll watch mysite/source Serving /Users/matt/mysite at http://localhost:8000/. Press Ctrl-C to quit.
For more details, read on or go to the installation guide.
Who is this for?
handroll is for people who want to use plain text editors to make websites. That group could include programmers, writers, poets, and others.
handroll is a command line tool. In almost all cases, you will only ever need
handroll, but a basic comfort level with a command line terminal is
What can it do?
- Make HTML from Markdown, reStructuredText, or Textile.
- Make CSS from Sass.
- Watch for changes as you work and automatically update your site.
- Track blog entries and generate a feed.
- Speak Arabic, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
You can find a full list of features in the developer documentation.
handroll is free and open source software. That means no cost to you. The tool is made available under the BSD license. In layman’s terms, the developers aren’t liable for anything.
There are many ways to contribute to handroll.
- Start a discussion about a feature.
- Report a problem you’re experiencing.
- Translate for a new language or fix a broken one.
- Submit some code you wrote.
- Write a plugin for your favorite tool.
- Extend handroll in some new way.
The contributions of others will always be appreciated. Contributors of code or translations are recorded in the source code.
Any other information can be found at the various sites used by the handroll project.
- GitHub project for source code and issues
- PyPI for package hosting
- Read the Docs for developer documentation
- Google Group for announcements and discussion
- Transifex project for language translation
- Travis project for Continuous Integration
- Codecov for source coverage measurement
- GitHub project for this website